Sunday, October 2, 2011

Saturday........

Good health is such a blessing! We don’t realize how precious it is till we catch some sickness and ache all over and feel like we got run over by a motorbike! That’s how I felt today and I immediately thought of those strong folks who have constant pain and never let others know how they are hurting. I have a mother in law like that. Over the years, she was always busy, working and doing interesting activities, and any time I dropped in, she would welcome me and I would realize later on that she had been in great pain and just kept going anyways! 
Saturdays here at headquarters are very busy. I have been here almost four months and still am not in the groove. It starts with the ‘pancake prayer breakfast’, then a quick run to the market for fresh produce, after which I rush into lunch prep while most of the others go to the park for Children’s Bible Club. Making sure supper is ready on time (5:00) because youth is always Sat. evening and starts early. Today Vernon went to market for me because I was making lunch for Cesar and Eva and their family. She finally had her baby girl and we are so excited for them! So most of Saturday is taken up with cooking and I am learning that it is the wrong day to try to have ‘family’ moments. Any day but Saturday!  Today we had a family come in for the night and then they are heading to one of the outposts early in the morning for the service.  The youth were here at 5:30 for youth night and I made their snack since Jody and Jeana are gone. I made caramel popcorn and finger jello. It’s easy to forget the humidity factor till soggy caramel popcorn reminds me! I had to retoast it in the oven.
I was reading in Joel for my devotions and found this verse that intrigued me. Joel 3:14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision. I don’t know what all the deep and profound meanings are here, but the thought of multitudes in the valley of decision, aren’t we all in the ‘valley of decisions’? And what a profound effect our decisions have on our lives! Those small decisions that we make every day on how we will react to tones in voices, unexpected circumstances, burnt food, feeling sick……….. They matter and they make a difference not only in our own lives but the lives of those around us. If only I would remember this when I need it!