Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Coping with Change

Last night Vernon and I went on a date. We have very interesting dates:) This date took us to zone one at 10:00 pm. A family wanted to take the overnight bus up north and the bus stations are in the zone uno. We had a good time talking while we drove home. Zone one is considered a dangerous area, and some of the people I saw walking seemed to be on their guard. This morning we woke up to more rain! Our tropical depression is giving way to a low front that is moving in, so we should have more days of rain. Living in the city protects us from the reality of mud slides, floods and misery that people in the country are dealing with.
Linda, Miriam, Sharon and I went to Norma's house for an 'english' coffee break. We decided to get together once in a while to talk together and share heart talk that is impossible to do when you can't talk the language. Miriam asked me to share about how I cope with change. Interesting, how about throwing a temper tantrum?!
It made me look back over my life to some of the big changes. Our lives all have different stories, but I think we all have similar struggles.
These are some of the lessons I have recognized and am learning:
Isa.29:16, Jer. 18:4, Isa. 45:9 - Shall the clay say to Him that fashioneth it, what makest thou?
1. First is to have a correct view of God. If  I don't view God in the right way, I will be looking through a distorted filter.
2. Allow myself to grieve the change
3. Lay it down before God, over and over and over and...
4. Look for something to be thankful for
5. Treasure what I have and hold it with an open hand
6. Choose to believe that God loves me
7. Choose to trust God
8. Tell God it's ok because I know He loves me and is with me in all life's changes
9. Do not listen to feelings!
These were some of the things we shared today, and I was refreshed and encouraged to keep on giving my whole heart to God. What a mighty God we serve!
Isa. 40:31 - They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.