Thursday, October 13, 2011

Milestone

This weekend marked a time of conquering fear and emerging with victory!
 July 1999, I went flying in a small airplane for the last time in 12 1/2 years! I had such a fear of flying and my flights were spent in praying and placing myself in Gods hand, but the knot of fear was big. September 1999, my husband died in a small airplane wreck. I had no desire to fly again and the thought of it was enough to say a hearty no!! Now I am in Guatemala and............ when we came down I did wonder what I would do if I had to fly in the mission plane...........................
This weekend, our family flew to Santa Rosita to pick up Jeana and bring her back home. We were planning this for a few weeks and I didn't talk about it, but did spend time praying. I didn't know what my feelings would be!
We headed for the airport at 6 am on Saturday. It was a lovely morning in the city, but cloudy up north where we were heading. Santa Rosita is a 1 1/2 hour flight or a 13 hour bus ride over rough, crooked roads. We took off and I didn't have a fearful, panic feeling at all. I know it was Gods answer to my prayer! I also think I have learned to trust God more over the years and I believe that God holds us in His hands!
We had a good flight and as the clouds got thicker we did pray for an opening. Just as we got close there was a hole and as we flew over it we saw the runway below. It had a horse, a tuk tuk, some people walking and a truck on it! By the time we circled to land, had to do a pretty tight spiral, the runway was clear. 
We got picked up and headed to the river to finish the last 30 minutes of travel in a wooden Guatemala boat
that feels very tippy, but supposedly, doesn't tip.
The village of Santa Rosita is small and  coming in by boat made it feel like we were in a different world. We enjoyed our short visit very much and it was fun to see another part of Guatemala. As we walked through the village with Jeana, we could see her love for the people and also realized how much she enjoyed her time there. On Sunday afternoon we drove out to El Naranjo and caught a bus to El Chal. We spent the night at mission headquarters in El Chal. The village there is much larger and the mission has a clinic and school for the village children. The freedom to walk around was extra sweet because we recognize how precious that freedom is! Monday night we took the over night bus back to the city. I would like to drive the road during the day sometime. I think we went through some very rough terrain! A few times it felt like we were right on the edge of the corner!
Now we are back within the walls :) It has been raining all week, and forecast is for lots more!! Where is the dry season?
 Last night I planned a campfire supper. We had hobo meals with cake and strawberries and hot chocolate. It was so cold and rainy my plan for a campfire didn't work, so I took the 'campfire' indoors! I made a centerpiece with lots of candles and wood pieces and turned off the kitchen lights and we ate our hobo meal around a 'campfire'!!  I think some of our group wondered about this strange Idahoan idea!  Variety is the spice of life.