Sunday, September 25, 2011

I am sitting with my sweetheart beside me on the couch and I am wondering if life with me has been too hard on him. He is jerking his arm out in the air and back again like he is trying to catch a mosquito that isn't there.
He dared me to post this so I accept the dare! I'm not too sure about myself either, because I think what I wrote is pretty funny.
This week has been very busy. We had a major rain storm on Wed. night. The rain came down like a huge spigot had been turned on. The problem was that the spigot didn't turn back off! At 3am, the Spanish school and one family's house flooded. The water was knee deep. They cleaned up most of the day and the story repeated itself the next night. Vernon went down at 3:30 am to help shovel water. Have you ever heard of shovelling water?! That's what they did and it worked. They scoop it into a drain. Friday morning found the men all down at the school building a block wall to funnel the water over to a drain instead of coming down into the compound. In the middle of all this we had a baby shower for Eva who calmly cleaned up her flooded kitchen and then came to the shower and I didn't hear one word of complaint or fuss about such a mess right when her baby is due!
 My week seemed  very busy just keeping up with things, and I realize how much my girls help me! Jeana is having a great time and enjoying the freedom of living up in the boonies in spite of the heat. We are hoping to see the area when we go pick her up. Jodys world consists of teaching and very little time for anything else. She had the students start building a kite for art class. Vernon found a kite tangled on some wires here by the mission. It was very creative. It was built with newspaper, twigs and thread. The students are using it for pattern.
There seems to be this cold and sickness here at headquarters that has affected only the male population so far. There are coughs, sneezing, growly voices and high squeaky voices. We can't help laughing a bit, even while we sympathize.
Tomorrow us ladies - Priscila, Marta, Sharon, Ruth, Elba, Jody, Janelle, Miriam and Linda and myself are taking off for San Martins. It is a classy, coffee shop bakery combo. Forget about diets down here! They don't seem to work. I had an idea that I would go back to the states about 30 lbs lighter..... ha ha. The food is just too good!
Sharon put a quote up on the white board the other day. She found it in a recipe book. I have been thinking about it quite a bit.
"If a commission by an earthly king is considered an honor,
how come a commission by our Heavenly King is considered a sacrifice?!"
Until the next time.................