Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What a day! I think I will need a few days to process it! Vernon and I woke up at 4 am to the voice of Harold calling for help. His wife had gotten up during the nightt, and he found her laying on the floor and didn't know if she was alive or not. We rushed over and found that she was not alive and had a doctor come out and comfirm it. It must have been a heart attack. There is no dignity in death. It is the legacy of faithful living  that gives dignity to the shell we leave behind.
Our minds went to the evening before when we had talked and Darlene had said with utmost conviction,"when it's your time to go, it's your time to go!" I asked her when she was going to start acting her age? She grinned and said "oh, when I get to heaven!" How many 83 year old American women will bus around Guatemala, on buses that some people hate to ride on because of the dangerous road and drivers. Then she shows up at the door with a smile on her face. Harold and Darlene had 64 years of life together. How well they must have known each other! The short time I learned to know her, I learned that she was a very sweet woman who loved the Lord and now is enjoying the reality of His 'well done.' Today was a reminder that death will come to all of us. Will we be ready to face God?