Monday, September 19, 2011

Day by Day

 What is more distracting than shouts of laughter rolling out of the kitchen windows along with the smell of freshly baked bread? We have some extra folks around here who are waiting to head home to El Chal. There is a protest going on and the roads are blocked, so they postponed their trip till this evening. Youth Institute was out at the 'farm' this past weekend. Youth came from different areas in Guatemala and there was a nice sized group. Jody and Jeana enjoyed themselves in spite of only being able to say 'hello, how are you, what is your name, where are you from'! It is different here in the sense that when a young person here gives their heart to the Lord, they are counting the cost. Down here people live in communities.There isn't the distancing that we can have in the states with our acres of land and big homes. Down here there is the pressure of unbelieving family and friends and no big church with lots of friends and family to insulate us from the reality others have to face. I look at some of the people here and find myself feeling shame for the many times I wasn't willing to stand for the truth, no matter what others thought!
Darlene's death last week has reminded me to take a look at my life and relationship with God, and it has given me a deeper appreciation and enjoyment in my family. It has also made my arms ache to hold my granddaughters and to talk face to face with my sons and their wives. Till I can do that, I will keep praying that God will give them strength and wisdom for the path He has given them.
This morning we sang 'my song'. Day by day and with each passing moment, strength I find to meet my trials here. Trusting in my Fathers wise bestowment, I've no cause for worry or for fear. He whose heart is kind beyond all measure, gives unto each day as He deems best, lovingly, it's part of pain and pleasure, mingling toil with peace and rest. Every day the Lord Himself is near me with a special mercy for each hour that I lose not faiths sweet consolation, offered me within His Holy Word..............