Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day!

Today is labor day and we celebrated it by............laboring! I made waffles with fresh strawberries for breakfast and by the time we started our days work, the clouds and rain had given way to blue skies, fresh breeze and sun. Jeana and I were talking about how some people have a thankfulness for each day just because God created the day and the circumstances are just an added blessing. That is my goal! I want to wake up with a heart that is grateful for the day God has given me! These were my early morning thoughts and comments. Then our flexibility was tested. We had four waves of guests come in today, we are actually waiting for the last wave to arrive. Some are workers returning from furlough, some are workers coming to the city for a few days, some are natives who couldn't be flown to their homes with the mission plane because of weather and mud, so may have to take a 5 hour bus ride when a 40 min. plane ride would get them home! It is a blessing to have a clean, safe place to stay while in the city and we try to make it a comfortable, pleasant stay.  Limited Spanish can be so frustrating! When I want to welcome a young very pregnant woman and make sure she is comfortable and has what she needs and to let her know she is very welcome, words definitely fail me! Then there is the mother and her children and they are very cautious about getting in our way and I want to tell them, they can be comfortable and relax! I finally got Priscila to come with me and translate! We don't understand all the little important things about this culture, but courteousy and kindness can help bridge the gap!