Saturday, August 27, 2011

Ho Hum.......

How do I handle routine, every day same, same? This place can have that feeling at times. Yes, new people come through and the pace can be rushed or slower, but there is a sense of 'sameness' that is present. So,....
I need to remember that the things I do are not for myself or my benefit, but they are things that need to be done and feelings are unreliable!
Today we went to the market and I was awed by the variety of fresh produce once again. The watermelon hasn't been so good lately, but the strawberries are big and sweet.  There were the vendors with their foods that smelled delicious and looked wonderful! I am learning to check markets and tiendas for things before going to Walmart. There are clothes, dishes, chicken, and other things. The chickens look kind of scary, but the vendors are very careful to swish the flies away! Today I saw one man grab a cauliflower leaf  from the ladies produce right beside him and he sat there fanning his chicken so the flies couldn't land.
We have one family coming for the night tonight and then they are going to a church about an hour away from here tomorrow. I am trying to decide what to make for Sunday lunch. I think maybe chicken enchiladas. Tonight I am having tostadas with all the little toppings - beans, Guatemalan salsa, guacamole, dry cheese, cilantro and onion slices, with mango for dessert! Yum!
Jody has been very busy getting ready for school. Our school will start Sept. 1. Learning! What a privilege, and blessing and what hard work! If I would have memorized 5 Spanish words a day since we got here, I would have a vocabulary of 450 words. That's enough to depress me!!! Guess I'll go start right now, hasta luega...............