Sunday, January 8, 2012

A New Book

This year, I have been thinking of the opportunity I have to write a new book. It has 365 pages and I get to decide what is on each page! If I can live this year remembering that 2012 is my new book, maybe I can make more wise choices and fewer hasty ones.
This year my first few pages have some good memories on them, such as:
How wonderful it was to see Marta and Priscila back from their holidays and part of 'the family' again.
Making a Guatemalan meal of rice and beans for a work crew at the church and realizing that God  heard my prayers for rice and beans that would taste good.
Going shopping with Vernon and stocking up on groceries for the upcoming weeks.
Having the girls help me in the kitchen with baking and cooking.
Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning!
Playing settlers with Vernon, Jared and Craig! (interesting)
Having the honor of grilling chicken for the girls retreat that was going on this weekend, and then getting to help serve a special meal to them. It was amazing to see so many girls, most of whom have given their hearts to the Lord. I thought of how each girl has a story, and of how God loves them all so much and has a work for them to do.
Sitting around the dining room table today and having a very interesting and enjoyable conversation with a bunch of 'strangers'. There were guests who were headed to Antigua for Spanish school, a temporary helper from an out post who was in the city for dental work and then there was Duane and Sharon Eby, a couple we had never met but who had lived in Guate for 17 years and now serve on the MAM Board. We have enjoyed learning to know them and enjoy their insight and humor!
Having a song service at the new, not yet finished church and enjoying the beautiful sound.
 These are some of the things written on the pages of my new book. I have written of laughter, annoyance, patience and impatience, treasuring family and friends. What a challenge!
This next week is going to be a full one. I expect I will get to make lots of choices about getting uptight or not:) Monday most of the MAM Board members will be flying in. They will be here most of the week and some will be staying longer. It seems like there could be the pressure to perform, but I refuse to give in to it! I want to be who I am and be more concerned that I am the woman God created me to be.This past weekend was a special girls retreat, a time for the youth girls to be together and be taught, challenged and encouraged in their Christian life. After such a time, I am expecting some tired girls and also I am expecting that they will be tested, I call them confirmation tests, on all and any decisions they have made this weekend to serve God with their whole heart. Pray for the youth girls in Guatemala that they will be faithful to God and follow Him.