Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Salute to Widows

I had a 'reliving' moment today when our school went on an excursion. There were six students with their three families. We planned to go to the Children's Museum, but it was closed so we headed up to a special park that is like a wilderness oasis after living in a concrete jungle. It was a lovely day and we hiked and tried out all the neat swings. Towards the end of our hike, Vernon went ahead and started to grill some pork chops he had picked up for a special treat. The boys were racing ahead, leaping and running and shouting, Brian and Janelle and Danny and Linda were hiking along the trail holding hands. I was walking behind and I had a 'reliving' moment. I remembered the loneliness that can hit a widow any time, any where. That is reality. People can be ever so thoughtful and kind, but there are so many painful moments a widow has to face and accept, alone. I intend to enjoy and appreciate my husband and family every moment. Too often, we take those we love the most for granted and don't appreciate what we have until we lose it. To all you widows, I salute your courage and strength. God is good, He is with you and He makes a way. To all you couples, appreciate what you have and be thankful for each other.