Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Went to the biiiiiggg market today. How do I describe all the fresh produce?! We went to get stuff to make pizza sauce on Friday. There are lines of bulk produce vendors and then there are the 'small amount' vendors. It is a most interesting experience! Fresh asparagus, peaches, lemons(limes), pears, pineapple, avocado, star fruit, cilantro, watermelon, to name only a few. We bought 100 lb. of nice potatoes for Q100. which translates into about $13.00. It feels so healthy to have fresh produce year round. There is a small market we walk to a twice a week and sometimes people bring food to our door to sell as well. One morning a woman brought bananas,  delicious bananas, and I bought some from her.Then she asked me to help her put the basket back on her head and we both heaved it up on her head. It was very heavy!
Tonight there was a knock on the door and when I opened it, there was a man telling me he was 'mucho hombre' and needed 'comida'. He drinks a lot and when I looked in his face, I had such a feeling of sadness for him and had to think of the deep need in his life!
Today Elba made a special meal called pepian. It has this well seasoned rice and chicken and wasquil and a chili sauce full of fresh cilantro! What an enjoyable meal! I was again surrounded by total Spanish since all the other gringos were not in for lunch. I may learn it yet!