Sunday, July 17, 2011

Help me fix these beans!

A few days ago I decided to make a Guatemalan meal of black beans, Guatemalan rice, tortillas and watermelon. Yum! I could just taste it! Then................. we all, 13 of us , sat down to eat. There was silence and there were small helpings and there were no second helpings. I sensed there may be a problem! The beans were gritty, the rice didn't have flavor, I was bitterly disappointed. After lunch I told Priscila, "please help me fix these beans", and she did. After some frying onions in oil, blending them with the beans and cooking them a bit more, we had some wonderful beans! Then for the evening meal, Priscila and Marta 'helped' me make supper while I watched! We made refried beans, and fried platenos. Was that meal ever good!
I am determined to learn how to cook Guatemalan and do it right! When we go back to the states my grocery budget may be smaller :). 
Today, I must confess, we had an all American lunch - meatloaf, baked potatoes, salad and pumpkin pie and apple pie. Our group added up to 18 people and we had a great time eating and figuring out brain teaser puzzles! Adios............