Saturday, July 30, 2011

How true that no two days are alike! Today we had a great breakfast and then I was very busy buying a ticket to fly to Idaho for a Hofer family reunion Aug. 19-21. I had started to plan the reunion before we knew that we were taking off for Guatemala. My heart is torn between longing to see my mom, siblings and Jeremy's, and leaving Vernon, Jody and Jeana here when they would love to come along. Vernon and the girls were so sweet and encouraged me to go, so Jared and I will fly out on the 18th.
I talked to Sharon and Marta and Priscila to see how they felt about the housemom deserting her post so soon and they gave their blessing! Marta tried to keep a straight face and told me "no, you can't go, there is too much work!" So I dried my eyes with the dusting cloth and told her ok, then she told me that I could go if I started working real hard from today on!!
I am sitting in the kitchen trying to keep my thoughts collected as Jody and Jeana and Sharon charge around preparing food. Jody and Jeana have to make snack for youth activity tonight, fruit pizza with fresh strawberries, sweet pineapple and kiwi. It is a feast for the eyes and looks delicious too!  Sharon mixed up this wonderful dessert for lunch tomorrow.
Shopping for kitchen tile is a learning experience in Guatemala! Vernon and I took Priscila and Marta along to translate and ended up searching through 4 stores till we found something that matched our new paint job. We had a lot of fun, literally driving in big circles trying to find the right street that would take us in the right direction! After finding the tile we felt would work, we enjoyed looking at the beautiful designs and colors of tile that didn't fit a missionary budget. Danny and Linda and boys came over after supper and Brian Yoders dropped by and we had a good time visiting while the boys played volleyball in the courtyard with chairs for the net.
Thought for the day - "Bitterness is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." I couldn't wait to use that one. Hasta leuga............