Sunday, February 5, 2012

Choices

Today I was looking at my son who is now 8 years old! Just having that number change seems to make him look older. He is learning some life lessons. Next week, two of his school mates will be spending the week with the other two school mates while their parents are in Antigua for Spanish School. This looks very unfair! We have talked of how it makes sense to the mothers to have their children stay somewhere other than the compound where so many people are coming and going. That is head knowledge and he can understand, but the heart knowledge, that is different. I told him he will get to make choices. Most likely, he will feel jealous and left out. I told him he gets to make a choice about how long those feelings stay. He can choose to be thankful for what he has and enjoy his friends when he has opportunity to be with them. Or, he can choose to feel sorry for himself and be miserable.
I know one reason God gives us children. We can learn so much from them! As I read over this post, I had to think about my own head and heart knowledge. What about feelings that come into my heart? How long do I allow the negative ones to stay? Do I choose to focus on things to be thankful for?
Today I feel a real need to be completely open before God. I feel these next weeks are going to stretch me in new ways, and I want to face each day with the confidence that I am walking through each day and situation with a  heart that is open to Gods prompts. Pray for me.