Saturday, November 26, 2011

Speak!

I stood at the door while two polite young men waited for my answer. A...um...hands wave....face looks frustrated....er...OH!!! um...how do I say that I want water and do they want the empty bottles and do I pay now?! Our water purifier gave out so we have been taking water bottles down the street to a water place and they fill them and deliver the water to our door. It costs Q20.00 for 15 gallons of water. This morning they came to see if we needed water during the weekend. I was trying to talk to them and finally one of the men asked me "if I can talk English better:?!!!!! Here he is fluent in English and I am reminded that it is good to "never assume".  I smiled real big and said, "I talk and understand English". So we talked and they got me 15 more gallons of water and never charged anything! They said we have been getting a lot of water the past two weeks, very true, and so today was free.  I had a good laugh over that experience, but how sad that I am living in a country where I understand a tiny bit of the language, but can't talk about the real things. How do I tell a woman that I see she has been serving a hurting person and allowing her husband to help this person, sacrificing their together time, and family time? How do I tell a woman that there are so many choices we make in life, that though they seem so small, yet they have an effect on the rest of our life? And so on....
I have had a real busy morning and fled the kitchen after lunch while the girls bake brownies for youth tonight. We have Danny and Lindas boys here today. Jared is so happy for this blessing and there are boys running, hiding and shouting as they play games. I'm enjoying watching the action from the kitchen window. Danny flew two couples to Honduras for a wedding today and they plan to fly back tomorrow. We are also getting a bunch of people coming in from Honduras and Antigua. They will be here for the weekend......The first group just arrived and I had enough chicken pot pie left for them, then the next van load pulled in and so we fried eggs, warmed up beans and I sent Tristan to get tortillas. They ate and then a group of three came and they ate left over eggs.:)  By then I was working on supper and just made a big pot of taco soup. We ate at 4:30 so the youth could head out to their host place for the evening. After that was over, Vernon and I and our "three little boys" piled into the van to run get a few groceries at Walmart, but the van wouldn't start, so Vernon just got a back pack and ran to the store and I helped the boys light a fire so they could roast some marshmallows. I am calling it a day.  Maybe I will dream in Spanish! They say when you start to dream in Spanish, it means you have a good grasp on the language. Ha ha ha!