Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

What do I have to be thankful for? So many blessings! I'm thankful for the beauty and warmth of a relationship with God.  I'm thankful for my husband, children, grandchildren, family, friends, laughter, health, freedom, food, shelter, the beautiful blue sky..................... We are so blessed!
Today in Guatemala there will be an American Thanksgiving celebration and it already started at 4:30 am. Danny and Vernon began to burn a huge amount of charcoal and then tried to wake us all up with some loud fire crackers. I helped Vernon wrap our 20 lb. turkey in many layers of foil. We are having a 'turkey in the hole'. By 6:30, they had the turkey in the hole and were piling the charcoal around it. Such excitement! It makes my cooking seem quite simple. We are having mashed potatoes, gravy, salad, dinner rolls and pumpkin, pecan and apple pie. I guess we will just remember the sweet potatoes and cranberries this year and be thankful for what we have. I have such mixed feelings sometimes when I see the hungry and homeless and then place so much food on our own table! We do feed the hungry that come, but it is so hard to know how to help them. How many are 'angels unaware'?
Today I am also thankful that my dad is enjoying heaven and waiting for us there. It is 16 years today that he died from melanoma. I miss him very much, and thank God for the legacy he left. The legacy of living for God in good times and bad, a humble man who loved and valued his family and quietly helped more people than I will ever know.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!