Saturday, November 5, 2011

One Week

What a week! It was a good week and such a full one that I never got to see the blooper on my last post till today! It is almost 4 pm and I am determined to get this done before I am disturbed, so am hiding in Jody's class room. Where to start? This past week was a very special time and we all enjoyed our visitors very much and Jeana did a great job of showing them a slice of "Guatemala life" in the six days they were here. Saturday, they got to experience Childrens Bible Club and shopping at the market for me. There was a street volleyball game in the evening. I made some authentic Guatemalan food as well. Actually, we had empanadas for lunch, and Marta helped by taking over and telling me what to do. Eddie and Wilmer came by and helped us as well. We were making them for about 18 people so made a bunch. They are a lot of work and I appreciated the help because I had no idea what I was saying when I planned to make empanadas! Then for supper, I made tostadas and that was a big hit too, at least they said it was. Sunday the youth got to go to Pital for church. It is an outpost that once was a thriving church but when the pastor was martyred, it slowly faded and now it is a little old lady who brings some children. Pital is a 3 hour drive from here. Vernon and Jared and I, and Marta were the only ones here for Sunday lunch and I had not planned anything because we were thinking of going along with the youth. There wasn't enough room, so Sunday morning  I decided we would have some hash browns and make a salad. Then I found out there was a family that needed to stay at headquarters till afternoon church, so we shared our strange lunch with them and I wanted to make excuses, but decided not to. Monday was a work day. The men were all at the church pouring concrete, some of it from wheel barrows, and Jeana and Danielle cleaned, washed down a room and did a bunch of odd jobs for me. At 3 pm we all went to zone one to take the guests shopping. They picked out some fabric for their moms and I enjoyed watching the boys look and try to figure out if their moms would like their choice. I think they did a great job! After that was done, we went to the tourist market and wandered around for a while. On the way home from zone one, we got stuck in traffic and so it took a very long time to get back. Tuesday, the youth and men went to other zones in the city and passed out tracts, and in the afternoon they played soccer with a group of friends. Oct. 31, - Nov. 2 are holidays. From Halloween, which isn't such a big deal here, to the days of the dead. Nov. 1 is the day to remember the children who died and there are hundreds of kites flying and graves visited and flowers left. Nov. 2 is the day to remember the adults who have died. It is another day of flying kites, (sending messages to the dead), and visiting graves to leave favorite food and flowers. A side benefit for the beggars is that they eat very well over these holidays if they eat in the cemeteries! Wed. we went to Lake Attitlan. It truly deserves the distinction of being in the top seven most beautiful lakes in the world!! Danny and Linda and their family came along. The youth planned to bus to the lake just for one more experience for the guests. When we drove past the bus stop an hour later, they were still there and so we picked them up and figured they would bus back to the city in the afternoon. The lake was beautiful! We were blessed with a sunny day and vibrant colors. Most of the group had a zip line ride and then we were talked into a boat ride across the lake to Santiago. It was interesting and I found my heart can be quite hard when it comes to buying products that are being forced on me. One woman worked on us all the way down to the dock and when we headed to the boat she tried one more trick, she gave a fake sob and started to rub her eye! Our ride back to the lake was rough and our boat driver took his time and kept watching the waves and heading into some of them because they were pretty big. All in all, it was a real good day. Having some 'home folk' here was a special blessing, and even though we get homesick for Idaho,  it showed me that our hearts have changed and the people in this country have a special place in our heart as well. Thursday and Friday were busy, we did mountains of laundry and cleaned and cooked and enjoyed some beautiful sunny days along with a bit of welcome rain. Today, I have been thinking about relationships. This place gives lots of opportunity to practice:) We are a group of people who are all from different places and families and customs. We have decided likes and dislikes, yet we can work together. Gods grace makes it possible to work together, no matter what our likes and dislikes are! I am blessed to see someone who is not 'feeling' great, yet they choose to laugh at the poor jokes or spilled food, or whatever. I think it all comes back to that same old problem, self focus! Am I focusing on myself or am I focused on living today for God, doing whatever needs to be done. I think of a book I read of a man who was ashamed of the work his father did. It was a small job that didn't give him any fame. This man realized later that his father had contentment. His father was a street sweeper, but he chose to be the best street sweeper he could be! This story was in the book Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. I often think about it when I am doing boring, unnoticed, little things. Am I the best dish washer I can be? Am I the best toilet cleaner I can be? Am I the best wife and mother that I can be? Only by Gods grace!!