Sunday, December 4, 2011

One Week..

How time flies! Some memories of this past week......
On Monday Vernon and I went to Clubco to stock up on groceries. We 'pulled' up to the check out lane with two full carts only to remember that Vernons membership card was at home! So Vernon went and talked our way through the check out lane. We left with a grateful heart for the manager who let us go ahead with the purchase!
Tuesday morning, Priscila and Marta took us to Trebol, a rough place in the city where more robberies happen than in zone one. We walked into the market and down narrow aisles crowded with people. We were looking for fabric for all the youth girls from our church here for a special program they will be giving at the girls retreat scheduled for January. I was impressed with the beautiful fabric displays in tiny little tiendas. Then I thought of the ads I have seen for hiring someone to come into our home and tell me how to utilize my space! Here, I can learn for free, just need to be observant. We found a beautiful fabric that all five of them liked, much to our delight!
Another memory is of MAM pastors coming from all over Guatemala for the pastors meeting. How they came in quietly, and sometimes hungry after their long bus ride, and how they were very polite and ate the strange tasting 'americano' food and graciously thanked me! Ruth made the main meal, a delicious one of red beans with meat and rice. It was so good we ate it all up!
Saturday, I went into the workshop and saw Vernon putting a few small boards on a wall and Jorge was watching and scratching his head in puzzlement. Soon the small pieces became a place to hang the clamps that had been piled in a corner, and Jorge began handing clamps to Vernon with a smile on his face. As I left they were chuckling and pleased with themselves about another clean corner in the tiny shop.
Another memory is the ear piercing shriek at our doorway when a scared spider crawled across Jody and Jeana's path.
A special memory was eating Sunday lunch together, just our family. I had made a crock pot of chow mien because we were expecting  to go to an outpost about 4 1/2 hours from here. Plans changed and so we ate at our table, in our little house, just the five of us. It was a good time!
I will always remember Reforma, a street in Guatemala city. We kept driving up and down that street looking for a family we were to pick up. This city is in zones and we were bordering zones 9 nd 10. The mix up was that both zones had the same street number right next to us and so we were driving up and down just one block  to the right of where we were supposed to be! We finally found them and now there is another part of the city we know quite well. :)
I remember playing lots of games this week, some with Jared, some as a family, and having a fun time of it.
Most of all, this week I will remember how God showed Himself so clearly through answered prayer. It is so beautiful how our Creator confirms to us that He hears and answers!
Next week, I expect more memories! Vernon and I are going to Spanish school and I am praying my brain will become a sponge and absorb it all!