Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Enjoying Life!

When I looked out my window early this morning there were dark angry clouds boiling down over the mountain tops. It looked like rain would be falling any minute. Today was garden planting day and so I was thrilled when the clouds gave way to chilly wind and sun. Vernon tilled my garden one more time and I looked out the window in time to see Jared spinning and leaping and racing through the soft, freshly tilled dirt. He came bounding into the house for some dirt toys and said,"oh mom, I am having so much fun"! I decided footprints in my nicely tilled soil wouldn't hurt. I was just as excited as Jared and since the girls were working, Vernon helped get the garden planted. It was a special time and one I won't forget.... Jared 'helping' Vernon make the rows, putting the seeds in and then covering them, laughing as Jared raced from one end of the garden to the other...it has been a wonderful day! I even saved the last row for a flower row! We can't eat them but they will be a feast for my eyes!
This past weekend we went camping with Jeremy's. The week had been so rainy and chilly, we kept debating about whether we should go. Finally we decided to go, rain or shine. We got to our camp spot on Priest Lake and it was a great place! The campground was almost empty so we had lots of privacy. It was quite cold and we kept a nice fire going and had taken warm clothes along, but by Monday morning, we had sunshine and fairly warm. Sitting around the campfire laughing and talking with Jeremy and Janice and spending time with our granddaughters was so special! It was a wonderful time and we all enjoyed it so much. We missed Justin's and talked of trying to go camping with them when they come out to visit. I had to wonder what our Guatemalan friends would think of us - loading up clothes, food and bedding; boats, fishing poles and games, and heading out to a campground to sit around a campfire and cook over a campfire! They would probably scratch their heads at one more strange 'gringo' activity! I don't think I have ever camped on Memorial weekend before. It always seemed like a good weekend to avoid camping.  I thought of the meaning of the weekend, a time to remember those who have died. I think if Jon could talk to us he would say that spending the weekend treasuring and enjoying family is a beautiful way to honor his memory.