Friday, April 6, 2012

Hello Walls!

Ahhh the north lands! We are officially home! What a feeling to walk into our house that has thick walls, no 'glass house' effect here! The house looked beautiful, spacious, and welcoming. We walked in and closed the door. I have thought about these thick walls. They provide warmth and protection, but they can also give an opportunity to close the door and close others out. Am I going to become someone who retreats behind walls or am I going to live open and honest about who I am and who God wants me to be? Living in a 'glass house' doesn't give options  to 'put on a front'. I don't believe God wants masks. I believe He wants honesty, openness, and humility. That is something I can be, regardless of the house I am living in.
 The air is cold, the weather has been varied, snowflakes falling, rain and mud and a bit of sun. I have been very cold and have been diligent in keeping a fire going in the wood stove. It is a wonderful cozy warmth.
 How does a person answer questions about how we are doing, are we glad to be back, what was our most terrifying experience?
Coming back to all things familiar has left me feeling like I am floundering, feeling like I should feel relationally connected to all my friends, yet, there seems to be this vacuum,10 months of  living in two different worlds. I realize it will take time and effort to connect. Who said things like this are easy? Easy, no, but important and necessary, yes!